We are currently seeking a talented Claim Consulting Director for the Cyber/Technology/Media team. This is an individual contributor role that will have responsibility for handling and resolving a diverse range of high severity first-party cyber matters and E&O claims arising under duty-to-defend policies issued to a wide range of insureds. This position requires strong claims technical knowledge, seasoned analytical and negotiation skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to act with a sense of urgency. In conjunction with senior level management, this position will work within assigned limits of the broadest authority on assignments requiring the highest degree of technical complexity and coordination. The position will have a national or company-wide scope of responsibility within specialty area. The position requires lending significant technical assistance and expertise to underwriting and actuarial on presentations, marketing, and claim trends. The appropriate individual will also have experience with mentoring other claim professionals. JD highly preferred.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Manages the most complex investigations of claims, including coverage defenses, liability and damages exposures. Determines if a major claim should be settled or litigated and implements an appropriate resolution strategy accordingly. Effectively manages loss costs and claim expenses on major claims.
2. Directs all types of investigative activity or litigation on major claims and ensures adequate and timely reserves are set. Consults and collaborates with staff counsel or panel attorneys regarding discovery and litigation strategy.
3. Directs and may engage in the negotiation of the most complex settlement packages to drive cost effective and timely settlements.
4. Makes recommendations to and participates with senior management and business leaders in the development and implementation of claims policy and business strategy.
5. Actively pursues and identifies ways to reduce inefficiencies in claims processes.
6. Utilizes oral presentation and writing skills to escalate or efficiently communicate appropriate exposures to senior claims management and other internal business partners, as needed.
7. Keeps current on state/territory regulations and issues industry activity and trends. May represent company in industry trade groups or other important events involving external business partners and clients.
8. Mentors and guides less experienced claims staff and other functional areas. Contributes to the development of claim training.
9. Responsible for special claims projects and presentations.
10. Identifies trends in complex claims and settlement strategies and communicates to senior management.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. The highest level of technical and product specific expertise, claims resolution skill and knowledge of insurance and claims principles, practices and procedures.
2. Excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
3. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects.
4. Ability to exercise independent judgment to effectively evaluate and handle ambiguous situations and issues as well as analyze, distill and communicate important aspects of them succinctly.
5. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
6. Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software and company systems.
8. Ability to embrace change and value diverse opinions and ideas.
9. Effectively manages multiple projects.
10. Ability to articulate complex claim facts, issues and analyses in concise presentations to business partners and management as well as in internal reports.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations preferred.
2. Typically a minimum
10 years claims experience with proven track record of success.
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Other Locations: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Organization: CLAIM USSPL Pro C (Pro Custom)
Job Posting: Jan 2, 2018
Unposting Date: Ongoing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Website : http://www.cna.com/
Since 1897, CNA has been providing outstanding service and an ongoing commitment to building long-term relationships, earning us a reputation for being a carrier that inspires trust. At CNA, we take pride in our ability to offer innovative products and services that meet the evolving needs of our customers and business partners alike. As the 7th largest U.S. commercial insurer and the 13th largest U.S. property & casualty insurer, we provide insurance protection to more than one million businesses and professionals in the U.S. and internationally. We understand the importance of being where our customers are. Headquartered in Chicago, CNA has offices throughout the U.S., Canada and Europe. In these locations, we work with highly professional independent agents and brokers to ensure our customers receive the personal service and attention they look for in a carrier.